Addressing pain relief in pigs
Aurora Pharmaceutical, LLC has completed construction on its 65,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in Northfield, Minnesota, US.. Aurora plans to manufacture oral medications, disinfectants and topical preparations for the veterinary market.
Swine market application
Each year in the United States, over 100 million pigs undergo a battery of processing procedures during the first few days or weeks of their life. These include tail docking, castration, tagging and ear notching. Each of these procedures involves a degree of tissue damage resulting in the pig experiencing pain. 1 The pain pigs experience from these procedures may result in reduced performance.
The industry needs a single product that is safe and effective in reducing pain and the risk of infection, resulting in a net benefit to the welfare of the animal. Aurora Pharmaceutical has developed a unique wound care product to address pain relief and prevent infections.
Barrier Wound Care Spray with Pain Relief :
· Is a 2% titratable iodine that kills up to 99% of surface germs that may cause an infection.
· Contains lidocaine to alleviate pain in wounds and surgical incisions.
· Has a natural anti-biting/chewing agent to help prevent self-mutilation and/or cohort licking, biting and chewing.
· Dries in approximately 60 seconds and forms a highly visible and durable coating.
· Is packaged in bulk gallons and a 16 oz. bottle that comes with a trigger sprayer. To apply, hold the sprayer about 4-6 inches from the area to be treated and spray one or more times.
Aurora Pharmaceutical has supply agreements with several major distributors throughout the United States.
Reference : 1. Taylor, AA, et al. Behavioural responses of piglets to castration: the effect of piglet age, Applied Animal Behaviour Science 73 (2001) 35-43.