Chilean pork exports in 2014 increased 1% compared with 2013, with much of the increase coming in the second half of the year, according to BPEX.
Shipments in the first half of the year were down 12%, with exports to most major markets, with the exception of China, falling. However, in the second half of the year volumes increased 16%, with 55% of total shipments coming in the second half of the year. Much of this increase was driven by higher volumes being shipped to Russia as a result of the restrictions placed by Russia on products from the EU, US and Canada. In 2014, Chile exported 24,900 tonnes to Russia, up 44% year-on-year, with 75% coming in the second half of the year. Despite increased competition from Russia, exports to South Korea, China and Peru all increased, by 9%, 21% and 11% respectively, while shipments to Japan (the largest export market in 2014), Columbia and the EU fell.
As demand for Chilean products increased in 2014, so did the average unit value, with the average price for shipments increasing 6% in US dollar terms. Much of this was driven by a 50% increase in the value of products destined for Russia. As both the volume of exports and their average value increased in 2014, the total value of shipments of pork from Chile reached $450 million, up 8% compared to the previous year, with 58% of this coming in the second half of the year.
Data for the first two months of 2015 shows Chilean exports have continued to increase, being up 29% year on year at 20,700 tonnes, although unit prices have dropped back. Shipments to South Korea, China and Russia have all continued to increase, while volumes going to Japan have fallen, making South Korea the largest destination for Chilean pork during the period.