What’s in my pork bun? Cardboard!

16-07-2007 | |

Chopped cardboard, softened in an industrial chemical and made tasty with pork flavouring, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in a Beijing neighbourhood, Chinese state television reported. Normally these buns contain pork.

This pigculiar incidence came to the forefront when a hidden camera from China Central Television featured the maker of the buns (called baozi ).

“What’s in the recipe?” the reporter asked. “Six to four,” the man said. “You mean 60% cardboard? What is the other 40%?” asked the reporter. “Fatty meat,” the man replied.

The police has shut down the operation.

China has been involved in many product, food and animal feed related scares lately. China has millions of small producers making food and chemicals for the global market. As a developing country, China’s food and drug supervision work began late and its foundations are weak.

More about