US hog inventory down 2 percent

29-09-2009 | |
US hog inventory down 2 percent

The US inventory of all hogs and pigs on September 1, 2009 was 66.6 million head. This was down 2% from September 1, 2008 but up 1% from June 1, 2009.

Breeding inventory, at 5.87 million head, was down 3% from last year and down 2% from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was down 2 % from last year but up 1 % from last quarter.

Farrowing sows
The June-August 2009 pig crop, at 28.8 million head, was down 2% from 2008 and down 1% from 2007. Sows farrowing during this period totalled 2.97 million head, down 4% from 2008 and down 5% from 2007. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50% of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was a record high 9.70 for the June-August 2009 period, compared to 9.51 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.40 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 9.80 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs.

US hog producers intend to have 2.94 million sows farrow during the September-November 2009 quarter, down 3% from the actual farrowings during the same period in 2008, and down 8% from 2007. Intended farrowings for December 2009-February 2010, at 2.93 million sows, are down 3% from 2009 and down 5% from 2008.
The total number of hogs under contract owned by operations with over 5,000 head, but raised by contractees, accounted for 46% of the total US hog inventory, up from 43% last year.

Click here for the full USDA Quartely Hogs and Pigs report©©