Pig starts fire at US farm

13-01-2012 | |

A pig is believed to have started a fire late Wednesday morning that caused mild damage to the Rescue and Refuge Barn at Farm Sanctuary, in Watkins Glen, upstate New York.

Fire chief Joe Dillon said that investigators believe that the pig knocked off the top of a heater that had been placed to keep the water in the trough from freezing.

The top fell on the ground strewn with straw, which ignited, starting the blaze that took fire fighters 45 minutes to bring under control.

Four staff members  suffered smoke inhalation, and were treated for minor injuries after rescuing the animals housed in the Rescue and Refuge Barn, including two calves and three goats.

None of the animals were injured and the barn (one of ten) sustained minor damage.
 

Pigprogress
More about



Beheer