44 pigs were killed in a fire which broke out in a pig breeding facility in the town of Son and Breugel in the South of the Netherlands yesterday.
A combination of prussic acid and carbon monoxide was released through a leak and overheating in the slurry cellar where liquid feed and grain was kept.
Fire fighters with gas masks tried to save the remaining animals. No one in the surrounding area was affected the leak. The local authorities will have to decide whether the remaining slurry can be treated as normal slurry waste or chemical waste. The latter will have large financial repercussions on the owners of the facility.