This 22nd edition of the Real P3 podcast discusses current research being conducted at the Prairie Swine Center in Canada and solutions for production systems from a nutritional perspective.
The Real P3 podcast series is an initiative where pork professionals from around the world are interviewed about challenges and solutions in their day-to-day work.
In this episode, Dr Casey Bradley speaks to Dr Daniel Columbus, a research scientist who runs the nutritional research programme at the Praire Swine Center, as well as an adjunct professor at the University of Saskatchewan. Dr Columbus has also recently published a paper on mycotoxins and the long-term impacts of DON.
Nutrients in disease and stressed states of swine
Dr Columbus has been working on creating models to better understand nutritional requirements in disease and stressed states of swine, and discusses the research done on amino acid requirements of pigs.
He urges to reconsider our thinking on how the nutrients are used and speaks about the next frontier in terms of amino acid nutrition and precision feeding for sustainability purposes.
A holistic nutritional approach
Dr Columbus infoms what the clear nutritional strategies today are that we can change to move forward. He shares his thoughts on a more holistic approach on what nutrients and feed are doing not just on growth but on the immune system and overall robustness.
In the previous weeks, Pig Progress published earlier episodes of the Real P3 podcast series:
- The prologue of the podcast series;
- Episode 1: Mihaela Angheluta, Denmark;
- Episode 2: Christine Snowden, Ohio, USA;
- Episode 3: Johan Odendall, Zimbabwe;
- Episode 4: James Lamb, North Carolina, USA;
- Episode 5: Dr Wayne Johnson, China;
- Episode 6: Colin Twomey, Ireland;
- Episode 7: Paul Faris, USA;
- Episode 8: A recap of 2020;
- Episode 9: Angie Krieger, USA;
- Episode 10: Henry Silva, USA;
- Episode 11: Shannon Dierking, USA;
- Episode 12: Sanne Baden, Denmark;
- Episode 13: Brian Strobel, USA;
- Episode 14: Nii Odoi, Ghana;
- Episode 15: Pieter Beerens, the Netherlands;
- Episode 16: Steven Payne, South Africa;
- Episode 17, part 1: Caroline Gonzalez-Vega, Germany;
- Episode 17, part 2: Jim Smith, USA;
- Episode 17, part 3: Ana Lucia Pozzobon de Souza, USA;
- Episode 18: Zhaohui “Edward” Yang, USA;
- Episode 19: Ron Simmons, USA;
- Episode 20: Porcast’s Jean-Philippe Martineau and Louis-Philippe Roy, France;
- Episode 21: Amanda Minton and Dr Justin Fix, USA.