Apr 29, 2009
The ban applies to meat and poultry produced in California, Kansas, New York, Ohio and Texas, where cases of influenza have been reported.
US fighting pork and meat ban
US officials insist that US trading partners have no legitimate health reason for banning imports of US meat.
"We're trying to underscore the fact that actions taken to ban the importation of pork or beef from the US is not scientifically based, and could result in some serious trade disruptions," said US Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.
The US Meat Export Federation says it's very concerned that Russia is now refusing to accept any non-heat-treated meat, including beef and poultry. The federation says there's been a "demonstrated over-reaction", according to ABC Rural.
Related new items
• Pig industry responds to swine flu outbreak
• OIE: Swine flu not traced back to pigs
• Swine flu threatens Thailand's billion baht pork industry
• China bans all pig imports from Mexico
• Death toll keeps rising in Mexican swine flu outbreak
• Swine flu: WHO raises pandemic alert to phase 4
• WHO: Swine flu is 'public health emergency'
• Swine Influenza worries
To comment, login here
Or register to be able to comment.
As summer is about to start, Poland sees a re-occurrence in the number of outbreaks of African Swine Fever...
The number of culled pigs in Vietnam due to ASF keeps rising as official figures now speak of 2 million culled...
It is no secret that African Swine Fever (ASF) is having a considerable impact on the pig population in China....
Brazil recently announced the launch of a programme to also eradicate Classical Swine Fever (CSF) from the last...