How to combine corn and soybean growing with swine production? In this episode of the Real P3 podcast, Dr Casey Bradley speaks to someone who does it all, pork producer Scott McKenzie from Michigan, USA.
The Real P3 podcast series is an initiative where pork professionals from around the world are interviewed about challenges and solutions in their day-to-day work.
Farrow-to-finish pigs, corn and soybeans
In this episode, Dr Casey Bradley speaks to pork producer Scott McKenzie from Michigan. He and his wife own and run a 900-head farrow to finish operation and farm about 550 acres (223 ha) of corn and soybeans. Two of his 4 sons help out on the farm. McKenzie shares his thoughts on how, in his career, he may see pig production go full circle in terms of pigs being raised outside, why they moved them inside, and why they may return to the outdoors again.
Dr Bradley asks McKenzie about the challenges he has growing corn, how he hedges corn, and what advice and concerns he has for his sons and the generations taking over. With 2 engineering sons, he also shares his thoughts on robotics, technology and AI.
The episode is the 2nd in a 3-part series of the Real P3 podcast, in which Dr Casey Bradley celebrates the 70th birthday of her father, swine nutritionist Craig Bradley.
Earlier episodes of the Real P3 podcast
In the previous weeks, Pig Progress published earlier episodes of the Real P3 podcast series:
- The prologue of the podcast series;
- Episode 1: Mihaela Angheluta, Denmark;
- Episode 2: Christine Snowden, Ohio, USA;
- Episode 3: Johan Odendall, Zimbabwe;
- Episode 4: James Lamb, North Carolina, USA;
- Episode 5: Dr Wayne Johnson, China;
- Episode 6: Colin Twomey, Ireland;
- Episode 7: Paul Faris, USA;
- Episode 8: A recap of 2020;
- Episode 9: Angie Krieger, USA;
- Episode 10: Henry Silva, USA;
- Episode 11: Shannon Dierking, USA;
- Episode 12: Sanne Baden, Denmark;
- Episode 13: Brian Strobel, USA;
- Episode 14: Nii Odoi, Ghana;
- Episode 15: Pieter Beerens, the Netherlands;
- Episode 16: Steven Payne, South Africa;
- Episode 17, part 1: Caroline Gonzalez-Vega, USA;
- Episode 17, part 2: Jim Smith, USA;
- Episode 17, part 3: Ana Lucia Pozzobon de Souza, USA;
- Episode 18: Zhaohui “Edward” Yang, USA;
- Episode 19: Ron Simmons, USA;
- Episode 20: Porcast’s Jean-Philippe Martineau and Louis-Philippe Roy, France;
- Episode 21: Amanda Minton and Dr Justin Fix, USA;
- Episode 22: Dr Daniel Columbus, Canada;
- Episode 23: Dave Klocke, USA;
- Epsiode 24, part 1: Dr Craig Bradley, USA.