Irish pig feed toxin levels beyond measurement
The contaminated pig feed at the forefront of the dioxin scare of late 2008 had toxin levels so great that scientists struggled to measure them, according to a report by Maeve Sheehan in the Irish newspaper, Independent.
The feed was tested in a British laboratory who warned that the poison levels in a sample of breadcrumbs were "so high as to often be beyond the measurement range of the instruments used". Three days later the Government announced a total recall of all Irish pork.
The discovery of cancer-causing dioxins detected in Irish pork was catastrophic for the pig sector, temporarily shutting down the industry and leaving the taxpayer with a €200m compensation bill. While confidence in Irish pork has largely been restored, the repercussions are still being felt in the industry.
Pig processors left out of pocket as a result of the recall have received only €45m of the €185m compensation package because of bureaucratic difficulties in getting the unwanted product back to Ireland.
To comment, login here
Or register to be able to comment.