Home

News 823 views

US and Canadian hog inventory down 3%

A joint effort by Statistics Canada and NASS has released the total hogs, breeding, market hogs, sows farrowed, and pig crop for both countries within one publication.

US and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for September 2009 was 78.4 million head. This was down 3% from September 2008 and down 4% from September 2007. The breeding inventory, at 7.23 million head, was down 3% from a year ago and down 2% from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 71.2 million head, was down 3% from last year but up slightly from last quarter. The pig crop, at 36.0 million head, was down 2% from 2008 and down 2% from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totalled 3.70 million head, down 4% from last year.

US inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 September 2009 was 66.6 million head. This was down 2% from 1 September 2008 but up 1% from 1 June 2009. The breeding inventory, at 5.87 million head, was down 3% from last year and down 2% from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was down 2% from last year but up 1% from last quarter. The pig crop, at 28.8 million head, was down 2% from 2008 and down 1% from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totalled 2.97 million head, down 4% from last year.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 October 2009 was 11.8 million head. This was down 7% from 1 October 2008 and down 18% from 1 October 2007. The breeding inventory, at 1.35 million head, was down 5% from last year and down 2% from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 10.5 million head, was down 8% from last year and down 2% from last quarter. The pig crop, at 7.3 million head, was down 4% from 2008 and down 7% from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totalled 731,600 head, down 5% from last year.

Editor PigProgress

Or register to be able to comment.