Home

News 767 views last update:Sep 19, 2006

Pork consumption leaves 300 ill

Almost 300 people in the Chinese city of Shanghai were hospitalised after eating pork believed to have been tainted with a banned animal feed additive.

Local media said most of the 278 people were treated and released on Thursday, but about twelve remained under observation.
 
According to these reports, symptoms included dizziness, fatigue, a racing pulse and muscle spasms, pointing to contamination with the steroid clenbuterol. However, experts within the city's food and drug supervision commission were waiting for the result of tests on blood samples from victims.
 
China has banned the use of clenbuterol as a pig-feed additive. The additive is often used as an illegal performance-enhancing drug by track-and-field athletes, as it is used to help build muscles.
 
Unclear remains where the meat came from, but said about half the victims had consumed it at a cafeteria in Shanghai's Pudong district. Poor sanitation and lax supervision of the food industry lead to many yearly occasions of food poisoning victims in China.

Editor PigProgress

Or register to be able to comment.